Exhibition - Connect Culture
Coventry Transport Museum exhibition
Mobility Vehicles – some of the exhibits
One of the first recorded carriages built specifically for a disabled person was designed and created by a paraplegic watchmaker called Stephen Farfler for his own use in 1655. Much later, the Victorian ‘Bath Chair’ became the first vehicle of its kind to be mass-developed with disabled needs in mind, yet this was only really affordable by the wealthy. After the conclusion of WW1, a greater emphasis was placed on mobility for the disabled, particularly considering the influx of soldiers who were left permanently impaired as a result of warfare. At this time, many of these ‘invalid carriages’ still had to be propelled by hand, but before long, many specialist manufacturers such as Dingwall & Sons began to fit and power these carriages with either petrol or electric motors, thus allowing far greater independence for the user.
1950 to end
On July 6th 1948, the Ministry of Health’s National Health Service was introduced. Its brief was to provide a “comprehensive and free Health Service for every man, woman and child in the country”. Within the remit of the NHS came the foundation of the Invalid Carriage Service, in which invalid three-wheeled carriages in both powered and hand-propelled forms would be issued
In July 1976, the Department of Health & Social Security announced that the Invalid Vehicle Service was to be phased out over the following 5 years.
there will also be an information desk